Sweet, summer time is here! Grills are going, pool parties are splashing, fireworks are bursting and watermelon eating contests are leaving sticky drops all over the deck. It’s an awesome time of year. However, did you know that July 4th is one of the highest injury holidays of the year? Burns, drownings and alcohol-influenced accidents are very high for this holiday. Be sure that you and your family have a SAFE and FUN holiday by following these tips.
1-) Be a safe swimmer, never swim alone. Alcohol consumption also increases the risk of accidental drowning. Make sure kid’s water play is adequately supervised at all times. In many outdoor swim areas there are no lifeguards so be sure to keep an eye on the kiddos! Many children drown when other people are nearby. Statistics show that most young children who drown in pools have been out of sight for less than five minutes.
2-) If fireworks are part of the festivities, be sure to practice the following tips:
- Make sure fireworks are legal in your area before buying or using them.
- Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks.
- Avoid buying fireworks that are packaged in brown paper because this is often a sign that the fireworks were made for professional displays and that they could pose a danger to consumers.
- Always have an adult supervise fireworks activities. Parents don’t realize that young children suffer injuries from sparklers. Sparklers burn at temperatures of about 2,000 degrees – hot enough to melt some metals.
- Never place any part of your body directly over a fireworks device when lighting the fuse. Back up to a safe distance immediately after lighting fireworks.
- Never try to re-light or pick up fireworks that have not ignited fully.
- Never point or throw fireworks at another person.
- Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of fire or other mishap.
- Light fireworks one at a time, then move back quickly.
- Never carry fireworks in a pocket or shoot them off in metal or glass containers.
- After fireworks complete their burning, douse the spent device with plenty of water from a bucket or hose before discarding it to prevent a trash fire.
3-) As always, remember to drink responsibly! Never drink and drive. If you need a ride, try a service like Uber or have a designated driver selected before the party. Try Uber discount code “UberChoice InsuranceAgency” for a discount off your first ride.
4-) Check out these tips for grilling safety:
Have a SAFE and FUN holiday! Happy July 4th from The Choice Insurance Agency Team! The Choice Insurance Agency. We’re on YOUR side. 757-416-5100.
The Choice Insurance Agency’s mission is to help you get from where you are to where you want to be financially by planning, achieving your plan and protecting your plan from unexpected events. In the process, our goal is to deliver insurance services in a manner that exceeds your expectations. See what The Choice Insurance Agency can do for you today. Give us a call at 757-416-5100 to speak with one of the licensed, professional members of our team or request a contact here. The Choice Insurance Agency. We’re on YOUR side. 757-416-5100.