With coastal summers come the risks of hurricanes. Hurricane season spans from June to November on the East Coast and the heavy rains, winds and storm surges associated with hurricanes have the potential to cause severe damage to your home. According to CoreLogic, a property information and analytics company, 6.8 million homes along the Atlantic and Gulf coastlines will be at risk for hurricane damage this summer. To protect your home from hurricanes, it’s important to be prepared before, during and after a storm:
- Plan evacuation routes in case you need to leave your home. Also, designate a contact person whom family members know to call once a storm is over.
- Purchase flashlights, a battery-operated radio, plywood, water and any other items you need to secure your home. Keep in mind that you may not have easy access to electricity during a severe storm.
- Keep a log of all of the items in your home, with photographs, if possible. This will make it easier to file an insurance claim if any of your possessions are lost or destroyed during a storm.
- Refill your family’s prescriptions, and withdraw enough cash to get by for a week.
- Evacuate your home immediately if you’re instructed to do so, and only return when the local authorities have confirmed that the storm has passed.
- Listen to the radio for instructions on evacuation and safety guidelines.
- Seek shelter in an interior room away from windows if you cannot leave the immediate area of a storm.
Did you know that hurricanes pose the perfect cover for thieves to break into your home? During major storms and hurricanes, home break ins increase due to high vacancy levels. If you have to leave your home due to a storm threat this season, be sure to follow these tips to help prevent a break in.
According to statistics from the FBI, almost 2 million home thefts occur every year, with an average loss of over $2,300 for each theft.
It’s possible for an experienced thief to enter any home, but you can help safeguard yourself by taking the following steps:
- Keep all of your doors and windows locked, even when you’re at home. The FBI estimates that 40 percent of all home thefts are the result of an unlocked window or door.
- Get to know your neighbors to keep each other safe. It’s easier for potentially dangerous strangers to stand out if everyone in an area knows one another. You can also form a neighborhood watch group through your local police station to deter thieves.
- Walk through your home from a thief’s point of view. Take note of anything that could be used to enter your home, and hide any valuables that can be seen from the outside.
- Never hide a key to your home outside. Instead, give a key to a trusted friend or neighbor. If you must hide a key, keep it in a combination lock box instead of out in the open.
- Make it appear as though you’re always home. Most thefts take place when no one is home, so keeping lights or a radio on can help discourage thieves.
- Install a home security system. Many modern systems can even let you monitor your home or change settings through a mobile app. Added perk? Installing a home security system may also qualify you for discounts on your home insurance. Be sure to mention your active security system when speaking with your insurance professional for potential discounts!
To get the tailored policy coverage that you need for your home, valuables, auto, LIFE, or business, call The CHOICE Insurance Team today at 757-416-5100 and ask for a free, comprehensive review. Give us a call today!
All the Best,
The CHOICE Team
In 2008 Choice Insurance Agency was created out of the former Realty Consultants Insurance Agency founded in 1980 by George Ayers Capt. USN Ret. Since 2008 the Choice Insurance Agency has more than tripled in size and is continue on a track of rapid growth. The Choice Insurance Agency focuses on four areas of expertise: Private Client Group, Coastal Coverage, Senior Programs and Commercial/Business Insurance. Our business model has allowed us to expand into all of the states on the Eastern Seaboard from New York to Florida including Pennsylvania and DC to better serve our ever-growing client base. As an Insurance brokerage stationed in Hampton Roads with access to well over 40+ insurance carriers, the Choice Insurance Agency is able to shop for the best rates, cover those picky coastal zones and create a tailored plan to fit your insurance needs. The Choice Insurance Agency. Call us today and see why we are the top “CHOICE” in Hampton Roads.