Do you remember how much fun it was to get dressed up as your favorite action hero, cartoon character or princess and go door to door for Halloween treats? Well, your children can now experience that same joy. Just as your parents did for you, now it’s your turn to prevent Halloween accidents and injuries by supervising your children closely. Here are some safety tips to help you out.
- Do not let children wear baggy or long costumes, as they are difficult to walk in and can be tripping hazards.
- Purchase wigs, costumes and accessories that are fire-retardant.
- Select face makeup and paint that is labeled as “FDA Approved” or “Non-toxic” to prevent allergic reactions.
- Place reflective tape on your children’s costumes and candy buckets if they are going trick-or-treating at night.
- Remind children to walk only on the sidewalk and look both ways before crossing the street.
- Do not allow children under 12 years old to go trick-or-treating by themselves.
- Remind children to never approach or get into a car with a stranger offering them candy.
- Once your children get home, inspect their candy.
Pumpkin Carving Tips
- Only carve pumpkins on a flat surface with good lighting, such as a kitchen table.
- Use a pumpkin-carving kit that includes tools appropriate for the task.
Place lit jack-o’-lanterns away from flammable objects such as sheets and curtains.
If you live near busy roads, consider only allowing your children to trick-or-treat during the day, or accompany children of all ages to keep them safe among fast-moving motorists.
- Cross the street at corners, using traffic signals and crosswalks.
- Look left, right and left again when crossing and keep looking as you cross.
- Put electronic devices down and keep heads up and walk, don’t run, across the street.
- Teach children to make eye contact with drivers before crossing in front of them.
- Always walk on sidewalks or paths. If there are no sidewalks, walk facing traffic as far to
the left as possible. Children should walk on direct routes with the fewest street crossings.
- Watch for cars that are turning or backing up. Teach children to never dart out into the street or cross between parked cars.
The Choice Insurance Agency. We’re on YOUR side. 757-416-5100
The Choice Insurance Agency’s mission is to help you get from where you are to where you want to be financially by planning, achieving your plan and protecting your plan from unexpected events. In the process, our goal is to deliver insurance services in a manner that exceeds your expectations. See what The Choice Insurance Agency can do for you today. Give us a call at 757-416-5100 to speak with one of the licensed, professional members of our team or request a contact here. The Choice Insurance Agency. We’re on YOUR side. 757-416-5100 .